In 1911, construction began on the Port of Valencia’s warehouses. The plans were already prepared and had been awaiting execution since 1895 due to a lack of funding and differences of opinion. Once started, construction was completed in 1912. At that time, the Chief Engineer of the Port of Valencia was José María Fuster, who was overseeing the construction of the warehouses, although the author and driving force behind the project was the engineer Federico G. de Membrillera, deputy director of the Port of Valencia at that time.
The construction of the metal parts of the deposits numbered 1, 4, 5 and 6 was awarded to Maquinista Terrestre y Marítima, while numbers 2 and 3 were built by Material para Ferrocarriles y Construcciones, both manufacturers from Barcelona.
Although engineers demanded that adornment should be paramount, the lack of budget at that time meant that the project was simplified and carried out without the structures in the design plans. Despite this, the modernist decor stands out with reliefs alluding to trade and navigation and polychrome ceramic mosaics featuring traditional Valencian themes such as oranges, grapes and other fruits.
The six warehouses commissioned by the Port of Valencia were built due to the continued increase in freight traffic. They were designed to save and store the unloaded materials, mainly vegetables and grain, sheltering them from the cold and damp conditions.
Today, just Warehouse 2, located next to the Clock Building, and Warehouses 4 and 5, behind the South Bases, are still standing.
The Warehouses are now the ideal setting to host events in a space which is covered but still outdoors, where guests can enjoy the aroma of the sea just a few metres away. Proof of this are the various entertainment events, exhibitions and cultural and sporting events that take place regularly in these premises, such as the Festivity of the Virgin of Carmen, the Tapas Fair and concerts and dance shows during the July Fair.